In 772, during his Saxon campaign, Charlemagne conquered Eresburg, the largest Saxon folk castle known to date, and subsequently destroyed the Irminsul, a cult site of the Saxons. He had one of the first churches in Westfalen built there - the Stiftskirche St. Peter and Paul.The Nikolaikirche, located in the center of the village, is a pearl of early Gothic architecture.
Outside the old standing walls of Obermarsberg on the 373 m high Kalvarienberg stands a chapel built in 1868 as the end point of the Kalvarienweg.
From 1201 the name "Mons Martis" is used, from which the name Marsberg developed about 200 years later.
Today, the sights line up like small windows of time. The remains of the old town wall, pillory, Buttenturm, Benediktusbogen, Nikolaikirche, Kettenbrunnen and much more bring a piece of history to life.
The museum of the town of Marsberg is an extracurricular place of learning and a place for young and old to meet, study, educate and experience home.
Obermarsberg is full of fascinating, legendary and mysterious places. During a walk through the "Old Town on the Mountain", past historical sites, vantage points and long forgotten cult places, the secrets are revealed on the Legend and Story Trail through Obermarsberg. Everyone would like to learn these stories.
From the Sauerland Waldroute, the pilgrimage trail and several local hiking trails, you can enjoy magnificent views far into the Diemeltal valley.
- Catholic Church of St. Nikolaikirche Obermarsberg
- Catholic Church of St. Peter and Paul Obermarsberg (Stiftskirche)
- Calvary Chapel
- Museum of the city of Marsberg (in Obermarsberg)
- Historical Obermarsberg: Old town hall with pillory, Benediktusbogen, Kettenbrunnen, Roland statue, water tower, Buttenturm, Drakenhöhlen
- Mäuseturm / Donnersberger Warte (between Obermarsberg and Giershagen)
- Priestberg Wait
- Enemuder Warte (waiting place)
- Jewish cemetery Obermarsberg
- Archery course Marsberg
- Hang gliding and paragliding
- Local hiking trails OM1 and OM2 (both west), OM3 (through Obermarsberg), OM4 and OM5 (both south-west)
- GeoPfad Marsberg (Ober- and Niedermarsberg)
- Legend and story trail Obermarsberg
- Pastoral PilgrimageTrail: "Seeking the Far" (Heddinghausen - Obermarsberg)
- Pastoral pilgrimage trail: "In the footsteps of our ancestors" (Erlinghausen - Obermarsberg)
- Pastoral pilgrimage trail: Pilgrimage on historical paths (Niedermarsberg - Obermarsberg circular route)
Here you can find more about Obermarsberg.