In 1843, the Prussian King Friedrich Wilhelm IV commissioned his Royal Garden Director Maximilian Friedrich Weyhe to plan a public park for the Burgberg in Altena. Weyhe wanted to beautify the bare rock in the style of English landscape gardens with promenade paths in elegant lines, with lookout points and plantings of avenue trees and groups of trees. Large areas on the slope towards the Nette valley were leveled, sown with lawn and supplemented with trees and shrubs. On the Lenne side, rugged rocky sections in combination with trees and the routing of the paths repeatedly offered surprising views of the landscape. However, the park, completed in 1854, quickly became overgrown. In 2015, it was partially reconstructed and is now accessible again. Text panels provide information about the history of the park. In 2022, with the support of the state program "Heimatzeugnis," paths and stairs were renewed, handrails and benches were installed, and a new children's playground was built.