The contemplation of the "Seven Sorrows of Mary" is an old form of Marian devotion that has become rare today. Whoever wants to follow this devotion will find seven wayside shrines in Serkenrode - on the way from the cemetery to the "Hemke".
The seven sorrows are:
- The prophecy of Simeon, at the presentation of Jesus in the temple, Jesus will be much contradicted, but also his mother will pierce a sword through the soul (Gospel of Luke 2, 35).
- The escape from the child murderer Herod to Egypt (Gospel of Matthew 2, 13-15).
- The losing of the twelve-year-old Jesus in the temple in Jerusalem and the three-day search for him (Gospel of Luke 2, 42-48).
- The encounter with her son on his way to the cross, represented in the 4th station of the Stations of the Cross (cf. Gospel of Luke 23, 27).
- The perseverance under the cross of Jesus (Gospel of John 19:25-27).
- The Deposition of Jesus, contemplated in the 13th station of the Stations of the Cross, represented in art as a Pieta.
- The Entombment of Jesus, recalled in the 14th station of the Stations of the Cross devotion.
The picture material in the picture gallery was made available by Mrs. Reni Hahn.