The historic and listed Schloss Melschede is located in the midst of beautiful, unspoiled nature. Unfortunately, the castle is not accessible for a normal day visitor. But, it offers the perfect setting for private parties, meetings or special events, such as photo shoots. Well-known beyond the borders of Sundern are the chamber concerts that take place at regular intervals from autumn to spring (for dates, please refer to the calendar of events).
Already in 1281 the castle is mentioned in a document as a bailiwick of the Grafschaft Arnsberg. From 1364 to 2010 the castle was owned by the barons of Wrede-Melschede. From 1659 to 1669 Ferdinand Freiherr von Wrede zu Melschede, Landdrost of Westfalen and Oberstallmeister, had the present castle built as a four-wing complex. This was done under the famous master builders Bonitius from Trier and Nicolas Spantzl from Meran.
In 1820, the north wing and the two flanking towers were demolished - thus the castle became the open, spacious three-winged complex we know today. At the same time, 200 hectares of English-style parkland were created in the valley. This is still largely preserved today.
In 1920, further reconstructions as well as restorations were carried out, which brought the castle to its present appearance.
After the change of ownership in 2010, the castle is gradually awakening from its slumber. The west wing of the castle can be used for exclusive events. Whether it's the popular chamber concerts that thrill guests at regular intervals from September to April, civil or church weddings in one of the most beautiful baroque chapels in Westfalen, yoga courses or conferences - Schloss Melschede offers the ideal setting and, most recently, overnight accommodations and culinary pampering programs by arrangement.