The Teichsmühle is the first documented mill in the city of Soest. It was first mentioned in 1231 as the property of St. Patrokli Abbey, which gave it as a fief to a noble family.
The date of its origin is unknown, probably in the second half of the 12th century, as the damming of the Great Pond as a reservoir for the mill took place in that period. In the 14th century, six mills were in operation within the city walls, powered by the water from the springs. Even in the 17th century these were described as a special feature of the town of Soest. In the "Specification of the Mills of Soest" from 1738, 37 mills were listed within the city and the Börde. Most of them were classified as flour mills, which clearly shows the importance of the Soest Börde as a grain landscape even in early modern times.
The pond mill was extended in the 1930s according to plans by Paul Schlipf in the style of heritage architecture.