Unlike many other old towns, Soest's townscape is still characterized by mighty historical fortifications. The ramparts and other city defense facilities were of great importance for the political standing of the city and for the everyday life of the population. In earlier times there were ten city gates in Soest. The Osthofentor is the only one still preserved. It was built in the years 1523 to 1526 by the Hessian master Porphyrius and his journeymen in a particularly elaborate construction.
Today, the Osthofentor houses the remains of the city armory, especially the impressive ammunition stock of around 25,000 crossbow bolts from the 14th to 16th centuries. The organization of the city's defense in the Middle Ages is made clear by illustrated panels. With the help of further information boards and two city models, which are set up in the former recreation room of the gate guards, the topographical development of the city of Soest in the years from approx. 1000 to 1900 is clarified and a systematic overview of the most important stations of the city history is given.
Note: Unfortunately, the Osthofentor Museum is not suitable for people with walking difficulties due to the narrow spiral staircases.
The Osthofentor Museum must remain closed for the time being until further notice! Guided tours are also unfortunately not possible at the moment. We will be happy to welcome you back as soon as this will be possible according to the current Corona guidelines.