The market square is lined with houses from the period of reconstruction after the town fire. At the corner with Gerberstraße, the large-volume half-timbered building, which today houses the Sparkasse bank, stands out from the other house forms in the center of town with its mansard roof. Directly across the street is the former Hotel Schürholz, a magnificent half-timbered house under preservation order. It was run as a hotel by its builder, Andreas Schürholz, and was the "first house on the square". After the town fire, only the wealthy citizens were able to settle on the market square and along the main street. The further away the building plots along the streets leading from here, the more modest the new buildings turned out to be during the reconstruction after 1838. The house on the corner of Annostraße/Kirchplatz, which houses a restaurant, is one of the first stone buildings in Drolshagen. It was built at the beginning of the 20th century.
Until then, there were only half-timbered buildings with mud walls. The beautiful stucco ornaments, which are rare for Drolshagen, are typical for this time. The house opposite stands where the old town hall once was.
Text: Drolshagen Marketing e. V.