The chapel is located on the Freienohl hiking trail F1.
The small chapel at the foot of the Küppel - Freienohl's landmark - has stood in its present form for over a hundred years. Even before that, a chapel made of half-timbering with a canopy supported by columns stood on this spot.
Construction of the Küppelkapelle began in the spring of 1902. It was dedicated to St. Joseph. In 1982, on the occasion of its 80th anniversary, it was completely renovated, and in 1985 the forecourt was renovated.