In 2018, the Protestant parish of Schalksmühle can look back on 125 years of history. While the churches in Hülscheid and Halver have been documented since the early Middle Ages, the church in Schalksmühle only came into being in the course of industrialization, when roads and railroad tracks were built and people from near and far settled in Schalksmühle.
Around 1890, according to a chronicle published to mark the anniversary, residents agreed: "We need a church." This led to the founding of a Kappenverein and a "citizens' initiative," "which made financing possible through collections and donations. In order to save costs, the congregation decided to build initially only a church hall with 400 seats and "choir end, but without tower, galleries, bells and organ." The costs at that time amounted to a sum of 22,300 marks.
The church was built in 1892 according to the designs of the Elberfeld architect Chr. Gebhardt and consecrated on August 24. The church tower was added in 1896. The chronicle goes on to say that a forged cross of unusual size, still visible today, was erected on the gable as a distinctive sign. "It was donated by the merchant Ludwig Scharwächter from Leipzig. Due to the growth of the population and the increasing number of worshipers, the 400 seats available in the church were no longer sufficient, so the congregation decided to expand in 1897.
A gallery was built on three sides, through which another 200 seats were available." The tower with the adjoining rooms was also built at this time. The expansion of the church was accompanied by the purchase of two bells, which were installed in 1898. A third was added during World War 1 in 1917. In addition, an organ was also purchased. "On Reformation Day, November 6, 1898, the enlarged house of worship could again be handed over to its intended purpose." Two major renovations (1951 and 1971) have shaped the church's appearance today. The inclusion in the monument list of the municipality took place on December 15, 1983.
All information without guarantee!