It was probably already founded between 700 - 900. In 1201 Beringer von Horhusen donated nine hectares of land in Erlinghausen to the monastery in Marsberg. An event that significantly influenced the development of the village for many centuries. This donation is commemorated by the coat of arms with the chess beam of the von Horhusen and the abbot's staff of the Corvey abbots, to whom the monastery in Marsberg was subordinate. Today the village is especially characterized by its lively club life.
The Catholic church in the village is dedicated to St. Vitus. The war memorial at the Dicken Platz is made of shell stone blocks and at Köhlers Drift there is a fountain with a gargoyle. On Königsstraße there is a station cross and a cave made of grotto stones with a figure of the Virgin Mary.
The Grenzsteinweg, a 12 km long circular trail, marks the state border between Hessen and NRW with 41 (of formerly 42) historic boundary stones.
- St. Vitus Erlinghausen Catholic Church.
- Pastoral pilgrimage trail: "In the footsteps of our ancestors" (Erlinghausen - Obermarsberg)
- Landmark trail Erlinghausen
Here you can find more about Erlinghausen.