Probably in the 9th century, a first church dedicated to St. Martinus was built on a Frankish imperial farm. The developing village was elevated to the status of a town in 1311 by the Archbishop of Cologne, Heinrich Graf von Vierneburg. From the 15th to the 18th century, the region experienced a period of economic prosperity, during which the blacksmith guilds, especially the ladle smiths, also called "Pannenklöpper", were particularly prominent. In 1795, the old town was almost completely destroyed by a major fire. After that, a new town was built on the drawing board, which has preserved its face until today.