The Catholic parish church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary in Finnentrop-Schönholthausen was built between 1732 and 1736 by Johann Jost Schilling. It is probably the third church at this location: In 1978, predecessor buildings from the 10th/11th as well as the 13th century were found during excavations.
The plastered hall church of four bays length is closed by a recessed choir closed on three sides. The Romanesque west tower was built in the 13th century and is equipped with an important bell tower of the 16th century. The tower belonged to the second church built here, which consisted of a three-nave Romanesque structure.
The interior in post-Gothic forms is covered by a burr-shaped rhombic star vault over stepped walls.
The baroque high altar retable was transferred to the church from the church of St. Cyriakus Berghausen in 1962. The origin of this altar from the sculptor's workshop of Johann Nikolaus Düringer falls into the period from 1730 to 1756.