Bismarckturm Möhnesee

Historical site

#deinsauerland / Outdooractive POIs / Bismarckturm Möhnesee

The Bismarckturm is with 286 meters the highest elevation of the Haar between Soest and the Möhnetalsperre. Two important historical roads cross here: the old postal route from Münster via Soest to Arnsberg (B229) and the old Haarweg in an east-west direction (B516).





66093825




66093826




66093827

Address

Bismarckturm Möhnesee

Haarhöhe B 229/Haarhöhenweg

59519 Möhnesee

info@heimatverein-moehnesee.de

URLs

Homepage

Patriotic Soest citizens and local politicians wanted to donate a monument to Bismarck. The construction was planned in 1912, one year before the completion of the Möhnesee dam. The tower was to be ready on April 1, 1915, on Bismarck's 100th birthday. A hall of fame for the fallen of the wars was to be installed on the first floor, as well as a fire bowl on the roof.

Due to the 1st World War, the tower was not completed, it fell into ruin with a height of 8 meters. The National Socialists continued to build the tower, with a height of 18 meters the tower was inaugurated in 1934, instead of Glory Hall a swastika was placed on the west side. This was cut off after the war.

From 1934 to 1936 the tower was open to the public as a lookout tower. From 1936 to 1939 the Bismarckturm was used by the "Marinefunkstation Mitte" of the city of Soest. After the outbreak of the Second World War in 1939, an observation post of the German Air Force was housed here. From the end of the war in 1945 until 1958, the tower was closed, was not used and could not be entered.

As a relay station for radio communication it was used from the year 1958, since the seventies also the local fire department and police and today even the disaster service use it.

On April 5, 1984, the "Förderverein Bismarckturm" was founded. Today, the tower is the property of the district of Soest and was thoroughly renovated and opened as a lookout tower in 1987. It is maintained by the "Heimatverein Möhnesee e.V.". Weather permitting, the tower offers the excursionist a view over the Soest Börde, the Möhnesee and the Arnsberg Forest.

Source: Flyer Bismarck Tower, Heimatverein Möhnesee e.V.

Regularly the tower is open from May to October on Sundays and holidays from 10:00 to 12:30.

Guided tours for groups are possible and can be requested at the Heimatverein Möhnesee e.V..

Main opening times:

Day From Until
Sunday 10:00 12:30

Prices

Freier Eintritt: 0,0

Wir binden die Videos der Plattform “YouTube” des Anbieters Google LLC, 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043, USA, ein. Datenschutzerklärung: https://www.google.com/policies/privacy/, Opt-Out: https://adssettings.google.com/authenticated.