The old church, which was consecrated in 1520, was demolished in 1856 due to dilapidation. The foundation stone of the present neo-Gothic church was laid on June 21, 1857. The church building was consecrated on September 19, 1859 by Bishop Johann Georg Müller.
In 1984 the church was included in the list of monuments in Lippetal. It was last renovated at the end of 2009 in a 6-month construction phase on the outside and inside. In 2014 the roof of the church was renewed. In 2016, the church square and the area around the church were completely redesigned.
The Cornelius reliquary is an important work of art history. It was completed in 1498 at the latest. The Gothic-style shrine was made of gilded copper and silver plates and it stands on a base of six pillars. The twelve apostles are placed in the four corner pillars with arcades on the long sides. The church patrons stand in front of the gable ends. The imposing high altar burned down in 1913 due to afterglowing wicks, the new winged altar was consecrated in 1921.
Guided tours are possible, for information contact the municipality of Lippetal at 02923-980228.