The estate used to be the castle of the Counts of Landsberg. The building was erected around 1600 in the Weser Renaissance style. After serving first as a residence and later as a hunting lodge of the Counts of Landsberg, it was used as an imperial training castle from 1934, but later also served as a military hospital.
After the war, it was acquired by the Joseph Society in 1949. The first sanatorium and training center in North Rhine-Westphalia was opened here. In the course of 1957, the Josefsgesellschaft gave up its training center and sold the entire site to the Federal Republic of Germany for the establishment of a garrison.
When this was relocated and part of the buildings of the Graf Landsberg barracks were no longer needed by the Federal Government, the town of Erwitte acquired the castle building in 1976 and initially carried out a thorough external restoration. Since 1985, the listed castle has belonged to a private person. In the meantime, the interior of the building has also been thoroughly restored and repaired.
The remaining barracks grounds were acquired by the town of Erwitte from the federal government in 1994.
For some years now, the Schloss Erwitte has been home to a hotel and restaurant, the "Schlosshotel Erwitte". This has been extensively modernized.