Museum Old Grain Distillery, Sundern


#deinsauerland / Outdooractive POIs / Museum Old Grain Distillery, Sundern

Museum in Sundern!



Franz Finke




Museum Old Grain Distillery, Sundern

Hauptstraße 130-132

59846 Sundern

Telefon: 029 33/ 63 32



The Museumsverein Sundern e.V. has set itself the task of maintaining the craft, industrial and economic history of Sundern in particular.

You can convince yourself of the dedication and enthusiasm of every single member by visiting the museum "Alte Kornbrennerei" in the middle of Sundern. Lovingly collected workpieces of times long past bear witness to a - for centuries - successful industrial development in Sundern. Many of the companies, some of which were founded centuries ago, still exist today. Mining, which also flourished in our region between 1400 and 1927, is unfortunately no longer present. Of course, there were and are also extensive agricultural businesses in Sundern, which settled here from 1600 onwards.

The building in which the "Alte Kornbrennerei" (Old Grain Distillery) is located today was built around 1500 as a defense tower. The fact that schnapps was later distilled in the same house is due to Mr. Kleinsorge, who registered the grain distillery as a trade in 1882. Schnapps was distilled in the present museum until 1966.

In 1769 the Wredesche Hammer was built. On this site Johannes Scheffer went over to paper production from straw in 1849. This was the beginning of the boom of PS (Papierfabrik Sundern).

When petroleum was discovered at the end of the 19th century, the Brumberg company began manufacturing metal lamps in 1873.

Today's Schulte Ufer company started its production in 1886 and still convinces with its assortment of pans all over Europe.

Although the Maybaum company closed its doors at the beginning of the 70s of the last century, especially its stoves are still known everywhere. The rise of this company began in 1890 and many Maybaum exhibits can be admired today in the museum "Alte Kornbrennerei".

Also company Severin - nowadays known all over Europe and the world for its electrical goods - started its production in the 19th century (1892).

With the Röhrtalbahn, which connected Sundern with Neheim, other companies gradually settled in the tube town of Sundern at the beginning to middle of the 20th century:

Around 1900 to 1919: Otto Brumberg metal goods factory (1906), August Pingel company (1909), Carl Froh (1911), Gebrüder Funke (1919).

1920-1940: Hönnetal Chain Factory (1920), SKS Scheffer Klute, Schröder and Sons, Beilmann Brothers, Fritz Buchheister, Clemens & Co. and Blome Brothers in 1922, Linneborn Lamps (1923), Schulte Brothers (1925), Paul Bruchhage (1927), Geb. Tillmann (1931), Wilh. Scheffer Metall (1932), Assheuer and Pott (1933), Presswerk Sundern, Josef Sauer and Josef Hugenpoth (1934), Adami + Tillmann (1936)

From 1940: Johann Baulmann (1941), Franz Kordes (1943), Emde and Simon+ Schelle (1946), Becker + Schulte and Wepa (in PS) (1948), Paul Hauschulte (1950), Alois Fischer (1950), around 1960 Frieling, Lübke and Vogt (1968).

A large part of the listed companies is represented in the museum today. Art exhibitions, readings and special events are held here at irregular intervals.

Guided tours are also offered outside opening hours by appointment:

Main opening times:

Day From Until
Sunday 14:00 16:00
Thursday 10:00 12:00


Freier Eintritt: 0,0

Wir binden die Videos der Plattform “YouTube” des Anbieters Google LLC, 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043, USA, ein. Datenschutzerklärung:, Opt-Out: