The Humpfert Tower was erected in 1908 almost 300 meters above sea level and largely financed by donations.
The third structure since 1891 on this site was finally to last with its steel construction, as the two wooden predecessor towers fell victim to the weather.
The observation tower was originally named after the founder of the Letmathe branch of the Sauerland Mountain Association, Karl Hassel. However, Humpfert - as a place and height designation - also prevailed for the tower.
It is a good idea to start the hike to the tower at the sports field in Letmathe.