The village originated below the mountain of the same name with a castle from an old farm. The mention of the Reische vom Cansteyn in 1080 allows the first conclusions about the village. In 1342, the Archbishop of Cologne granted Canstein Castle to the Rabe von Pappenheim family as a fief. This branch, which later called itself von Canstein, succeeded in establishing an almost independent dominion with a patrimonial court. The municipality of Canstein included the heraldic animal of this branch, the raven, in its coat of arms.
On the right below the castle of the von Elverfeldt family is the castle pond with a fountain and on the left below the "Dicken Stein" (thick stone), which gave the village its name, is the St. Laurentius church.
Canstein is known nationwide for the Highland Games, which take place at the end of June.
- St. Laurentius Catholic Church Canstein
- Pastoral pilgrimage route: "Old parish of Heddinghausen" (circular route Borntosten, Leitmar, Heddinghausen, Canstein, Udorf)
- Highland Games Canstein (spectacular competitions according to Scottish tradition)
- CansteinCastle (private property)
Here you can find more about Canstein.