Hellweg Museum Geseke

Museum

#deinsauerland / Outdooractive POIs / Hellweg Museum Geseke

On the north side of the Hellweg, a mighty half-timbered building stands out, towering over all its neighbors. This magnificent and spacious merchant's house was built in 1664 by Friedrich Dickmann, wine merchant from Soest, and his wife Elisabeth Hanxleden (house inscription: "F D Anno 1664 E H"). After the house changed hands several times, it was acquired by the town of Geseke in 1951. In 1954 the local history museum (also known as the "Hellweg Museum") was opened in this house.

The Dickmann House, which is a listed building, represents the type of an upscale agrarian hall house with an elaborate hall at the rear end above a semi-deep, vaulted cellar. In addition to a geological and prehistoric collection, the local history museum has a folkloristic collection worth seeing.
The professional supervision of the municipal museum is in the hands of the Verein für Heimatkunde e.V. and thus in proven hands.
Children's birthday parties can also be celebrated in the Hellweg Museum.





71939166




71939167




71939168

Address

Hellweg Museum Geseke

Hellweg 13

59590 Geseke

Telefon: 02942 / 500 512

christiane.sonntag-carl@geseke.de

URLs

Homepage

The magnificent and spacious merchant house was built in 1664 by Friedrich Dickmann, wine merchant from Soest and his wife Elisabeth Hanxleden on the Hellweg, the important army and trade route. Around the early 19th century, the large entrance gate was replaced by a small residential door. The two former gateposts were moved closer and thus became doorposts, on which the following house inscription is preserved: F D Anno 1664 E H. This records the initials of the builders and the year of construction.

The builder must have been wealthy and confident, since in the period after the Thirty Years' War, which in Geseke was still characterized by several warlike disturbances, he built such an elaborate house. After his death, the house was occupied by his son Dr. iur. utriusque Friedrich Dickmann. When he became electoral judge of the Gogericht Geseke in 1703, he resigned from the council of the town of Geseke.

After the house had changed owners in the 18th century, the Rotgeri family finally came into possession of the house by marriage, and they operated agriculture from here. In 1951, at the insistence of the local history society, the town of Geseke acquired the building, which had retained its character as a middle-class merchant's house and a large part of its furnishings, despite many changes.

The Dickmann House, with its room layout and interior furnishings, is a listed building. It represents the type of upscale agrarian bourgeois house with an elaborate hall at the rear end above a semi-deep vaulted cellar. The richer merchants in the towns of southern and eastern Westphalia also retained this agrarian form of the three-aisled Low German hall house with the high longitudinal plinth in the central nave until well into the 18th century. According to the building structure, it is a four-storey building. Above the so-called four-storey box there is a low storey, which originally served as a storage room and is therefore called a storehouse. Before the reconstruction of the house, if you entered through the carriage-wide and carriage-high entrance gate, you would find yourself in an entrance hall about 4 m wide and 5 m high. In front on the right was the parlor, which was enlarged by the Utlucht to the street, which no longer exists today. The Utlucht was windowed on three sides and provided a constant view of the street.

The culture of the middle and lower classes of the population - the agrarians, craftsmen and farmers - is documented in the Hellweg Museum by a considerable number of exhibits. A good overview is provided by two rooms on the top floor, one of which is dedicated to agriculture and the other to crafts. The agricultural room is divided into the sections of arable farming, animal husbandry, flax processing, housekeeping and transport equipment. The arrangement of the objects in the agriculture section corresponds to the operations in the course of the agricultural year: wooden plow, harrows, sowing trough, sickles, scythes, drag rakes, threshing flails, tub mill, etc.

In the craft room there are five more or less complete workshop facilities: Basket maker, blacksmith, clog maker, saddler and cooper. Furthermore, in the rooms we can find an old Geseke town scale, a wooden lathe, a rope wheel and a showcase with artistic works of the locksmith's trade.

Main opening times:

Day From Until
Sunday 10:00 18:00
Wednesday 16:00 18:00
Saturday 10:00 18:00

Prices

Freier Eintritt: 0 €

Wir binden die Videos der Plattform “YouTube” des Anbieters Google LLC, 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043, USA, ein. Datenschutzerklärung: https://www.google.com/policies/privacy/, Opt-Out: https://adssettings.google.com/authenticated.