A first town chapel undoubtedly existed before 1173. Until then, it was a branch parish of the original parish in Hüsten. After that, the Premonstratensians of Wedinghausen Abbey were responsible for the pastoral care in the town. The present building dates from 1323 and was erected in the style of an early Gothic hall church. A sacristy was added in 1730.
The present interior decoration dates almost exclusively from the end of the 17th century and is executed throughout in the Baroque style. The new furnishings became necessary as a replacement for the iconoclasm that took place under Gebhard Truchsess in 1583. In addition to the main altar by Master Johann Brune from Menden from 1692, the estates of the Duchy of Westphalia donated further altars in 1668 and the mayor Johan von Bilefeldt.